Sunday, April 8, 2012

Reaction to "Up in the Air"

As I was reading this book, I felt vaguely uneasy, and not because of the massive Easter dinner that I had just consumed. My first thoughts went to the people that I have conversed with on long flights, and how many of them were so disconcertingly Airworld. It makes me happy that I missed that generation. The gamer generation has its own problems, but that's another line of thought. I did enjoy this particular book more than the last one, but it quickly became obvious that he was suffering from TBI complications, and had developed some serious mental health issues. The author did leave me wondering what the point of the protagonist's obsession with the 1000000 mile marker was. Then, there it was, in the very last pages. Airworld gave him a lease on life, and when his time was played out, he gave back more than he was given. Maybe it wasn't an entirely altruistic gift, but it was a magnificent gesture, nonetheless. He made it possible for other children to get treatments that they might not otherwise been able to receive. To himself, airworld had not only given life, but a vast macroview of the human condition, and a love of its many varied parts. He also proved to himself that he could reach an impossible goal, no matter what the odds, or the personal challenges that he faced. It is that confidence that will stand him in good stead as he makes the lifestyle adjustments that will be needed while he goes through his treatment and into the next phase of his life. As the saying goes, "Go big, or go home." 


No comments:

Post a Comment